Autism belongs to a group of autism spectrum disorders which occurs in early childhood, normally, before three years of age. Although this problem shows different symptoms in everybody but all symptoms affect the capability of a child to communicate properly. The numbers of children suffering from this problem are rising. And it is not clear why there is a rise in the number of cases of autism. However, there is no definite cure for autism but intensive and early diagnosis and treatment will help many children get out of this disorder.
All children that are affected by autism react in an abnormal way to stimuli as the senses are whether under-active or over-active. Children seem to react differently. They show a normal touch as painful .A normal odor as being overpoweringly unpleasant and bright lights and loud music makes them cry.
Some other signs and symptoms of autism in young children are given here:
- They show less interest in his/her surroundings.
- They show that they are contented with being himself or herself and appear like playing alone and they don’t have any interest in toys.
- They do not respond to others and also they do not display any proodeclrative pointing towards anything and resists cuddling.
- The development of language in young children is very much affected and is usually impaired, hence they lack the ability of expressing their needs, using gestures, for example, rather than words.
- They show outburst of frequent tantrums
- They tend to show abnormal attachment towards certain objects.
- They hold hesitation while making any sort of eye contact. But it does not mean that they are under fear as they do not seem to fear damage.
- The motor skills in such children are unstable.
- They are non-responsive to verbal cues and other normal ways of teaching and shows like a deaf inspire of having normal hearing.
Some of these signs may become severe while the child enters the adolescent stage but all these symptoms tend to reduce when a child reaches adulthood.
Now let’s discuss about the main causes of autism:
These problems in most of the children due to the presence of some specific genes. Some children are more susceptible to this disease while some are not. Genes affect the functioning of the brain and how these brain cells communicate. The genetic problems may be inherited or it may happen spontaneously.
Research is still on to confirm whether environmental factors like viral infections, environmental pollutants or other complications at the time of pregnancy are responsible for the problem of autism in children.
No relation between vaccines and autism:
One of the main controversial that lies between vaccines and autism is that there is no reliable proof that shows that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine is beneficial for autism.
But avoiding any of the childhood vaccines puts the child in danger and more susceptible to spread or prone to diseases. This problem affects children of all regions and castes but still, certain factors increase the risk of autism in children.
Family history and child’ sex:
The family history is also responsible for the development of autism. In case one child is detected with autism then there is an increased risk of developing this disease in the second child. The parents and relatives of an autistic child observe minor problems in social communication due to presence of autism in their children. The chances of autism are more likely in boys than girls.
The age of the parents also affects the chances of development of autism. This is because when the children are born to older parents then they are more likely to autism due to the hormones present in the older parents. But still, more findings are needed to rely on this statement completely.
Other medical conditions:
Abnormal children of children with certain medical conditions are more prone to development of autism. Some of the medical conditions include fragile X syndrome, any inherited disorder which leads to other intellectual problems, tuberous sclerosis and benign tumors in brain, epilepsy and Tourette syndrome which is a kind of neurological disorder